[R] piece wise functions

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Mon Apr 21 16:23:55 CEST 2003

Casiano  -

A practical approach would be to use  gam() and its friends
in package mgcv.  This implements Generalized Additive Models
(Hastie & Tibshirani, 1990).  The fit will be smoother than
you would get with an explicit piece-wise linear regression,
but it's already implemented.

If you really care about estimating the boundaries between
distinct regions of the fit, that's a research question, in
my humble opinion, and you are cast onto the stormy sea of
statistical literature for that.  That's a difficult problem.
Start with  gam() and eyeball the boundaries ?

Others will have better ideas.  Maybe packages "GRASS",
"grasper" or "geoR" have something to offer ?

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -