[R] covariance = diagonal + F'F

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Apr 20 21:59:38 CEST 2003

	  Have you considered "factanal" in library(mva)?  Unless you want to
force "diagonal" to be a constant times the identity matrix, this is
essentially the model fit by factanal.

	  I have not followed the factor analysis literature for some years, so
I don't know what modern factor analysis gurus recommend to estimate "p"
= the number of factors, but if I had to have an answer this afternoon,
I would do the following:  First, I would fit models for p = 1, 2, and
3.  I would also try p = 0 and hope that would not bomb the software.

	  The documentation for "factanal" says that it has an attribute
"criterion", which is the negative of the log(likelihood).  I'd extract
those numbers as one column of a matrix.  In the second column, I'd put
the attribute "dof" = degrees of freedom in the model.  I'd then compute
the Akaike Information Criterion (AIC) and put that in the third column.

	  More precisely, I would compute the AIC with a finite sample correction,

	  AIC.c = (-2)*(log(likelihood)-K*(1+(K+1)/(n*m-K-1)),

where K = (dof+m);  this is a slight modification of AIC.c described by
Burnham and Anderson (2002) Model Selection and Multi-Model Inference,
2nd ed. (Springer).  The model with the smallest value for AIC.c is the
best.  Following Burnham and Anderson, I would then compute Del.AIC =
AIC.c - min(AIC.c) and put that in another column.  The next column
would then hold w.i = exp(-Del.AIC/2), and the final column would hold
posterior = w.i/sum(w.i).  This computation is an application of Bayes'
theorem with a uniform prior and with a correction for bias in
estimating the likelihood.

	  If this posterior does not sharply favor a value of p in the middle
of the range tested, I would test more values for p.  If I could not
easily get a value for p = 0 and the posterior strongly favored 1
without it, I would try to devlop another way to get a comparable number
for p = 0.

Hope this helps,
spencer graves