[R] R Install problems with Redhat 9 : "tcl.so" versus "tcl.so.0"

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at medanalytics.com
Thu Apr 17 19:05:11 CEST 2003

Jonathan Baron wrote:
> I seem to have installed R-1.7 on RH 9, using the following
> suggestions.  It may take a while to learn if they caused any
> problems.  But basic things certainly work.
>
> On 04/17/03 12:32, M.Kondrin wrote:
>
>>If you haven't /usr/lib/libtcl.so.0 on your system I would suggest to
>>make a symlink
>

> ln -s /usr/lib/libtcl8.3.so /usr/lib/libtcl.so.0
> and I also did (as suggested)
> ln -s /usr/lib/libtk8.3.so /usr/lib/libtk.so.0
>
> But the RPM still won't install because these are not registered
> in the RPM database.  So I just did
> rpm -Uvh -nodeps R-1.7.0-1.i386.rpm
>
> As the README says, you do need to have blas installed, and it is
> indeed on the installation disks (and in the RedHat mirror sites).
>

>>May be ldconfig is also required.
>

> It wasn't.

Until Martyn posts the RH 9 RPM up on CRAN, which should be soon I
believe, you can build an RPM from the SRPM at:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/SRPMS/R-1.7.0-1.src.rpm

or build from the source tar file, which I have done as well.

I successfully built an RH 9 RPM this morning, though had some pdftex
related warnings. After a discussion with Martyn off-list this morning,
these seem to be largely a non-issue at this point.  I didn't recall
them from RH 8.0, so I made mention of it. The install and debug RPMS
were built and successfully installed on my RH 9 system without errors.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz