[R] R search engine and Mozilla

John Hendrickx john_hendrickx at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 16:56:06 CEST 2003

Not really an R question but I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm
having problems with the R help page "The R language" and Mozilla 1.3
with the Java 2 runtime environment 1.4.1_02 under Windows XP. The
problems occur on the "Search Engine & Keywords" page. I can open two
links, but after that links aren't recognized.

The problem seems to be javascript related. When I open the "Search
Engine" page, the status bar shows "Applet SearchEngine started". If
I move the cursur to a link, e.g. "attribute", the status bar shows
the link refers to
"javascript:SearchInIndex('attribute',false,true,false);") .

If I click on the link, the page opens but the status bar shows
"stopped" and the Mozilla JavaScript Console shows an error:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIURI.hostPort]"  nsresult: "0x80004005
(NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame ::
chrome://navigator/content/nsBrowserStatusHandler.js :: anonymous ::
line 350"  data: no]
Source File: chrome://navigator/content/nsBrowserStatusHandler.js
Line: 350

If I move the cursor over a link, it appears correctly on the status
bar and I can open the link with no problems. But if I open e.g. the
"attr" link, then go back, the links no longer work. The status bar
shows nothing, right-clicking to open the link in a new window or tab
doesn't work either. The JavaScript Console shows the same error as
before and the following:

Security Error: Content at
wyciwyg://0/file:///C:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1062/doc/html/search/SearchEngine.html
may not load or link to
file:///C:/PROGRA~1/R/rw1062/doc/html/search/SearchEngine.html.

Reloading the current page doesn't help, it just reproduces the above
JavaScript errors.

A workaround is to use I.E., which works fine. However, I rather like
Mozilla. Any suggestions on what the problem is here? Is this an R
problem or should I report it to Mozilla.org? I'm afraid I'm
unfamiliar with JavaScript or I might have a bit of a clue as to
what's going on.

Advanced thanks for any help,
John Hendrickx