[R] Charts to M$Word - what's the best format

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Apr 15 20:06:50 CEST 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:38:26 -0700, you wrote in message
<87znmsx6u5.fsf at jeeves.blindglobe.net>:

>Fredrik Lundgren <fredrik.lundgren at norrkoping.mail.telia.com> writes:
>
>> As a Linux newbie I think a graphics device capable of producing the wmf
>> (windows meta file) format wouldn't hurt - or is this a blasphemy in the
>> Linux society?
>
>Not blasphemy, but difficulty to find a good library to do it right
>(vector rather than bitmap'd).  Hopefully, someone will care enough to
>do both, right now apparently no one does (care enough -- enough
>people care a small bit).

I'm not sure it's worthwhile.  I've found WMF or EMF files don't look
nearly as good as Postscript or (high resolution) bitmap formats.  The
fonts get messed up, symbols change shape in strange ways, etc.

Of course, I've sworn off using MS Word n times (and reluctantly gone
back n-1 times).  It's good for memos and such, but not good enough
for something containing math, or that you want to look good.

Duncan Murdoch