[R] Charts to M$Word - what's the best format

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Apr 14 19:55:51 CEST 2003

Fredrik Lundgren <fredrik.lundgren at norrkoping.mail.telia.com> writes:

> As a Linux newbie I think a graphics device capable of producing the wmf
> (windows meta file) format wouldn't hurt - or is this a blasphemy in the
> Linux society?

Maybe, but mainly hard work. The file format would seem to be rather
well documented here:

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~caolan/publink/libwmf/libwmf/doc/ora-wmf.html

Even so, it's still a bit of a toss up whether it works. Microsoft's
track record in writing software that behaves according to their own
documentation is not impressive...

(It is amusing though, that the same people that wouldn't think twice
about sending you a Word file will whine horribly if *you* require
*them* to install any additional software to read your files. Even
though it's free.)