[R] Charts to M$Word - what's the best format

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 14 16:00:58 CEST 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Thomas W Blackwell wrote:

> I think maybe the question is, how do you import postscript format
> into an M$Word document.  I am NOT a word user, but I had to do this
> some years ago and found that it IS possible to import postscript.
>
> You do something like "import picture ... (some kind of generic-
> sounding graphics format)", and it works fine.  The postscript
> behaves very nicely once you get it in.  You have to play around
> quite a bit, and try some very unlikely sounding possibilities to
> get it in, but it WILL work.  There are definitely some shortcomings
> in the documentation for M$Word (to put it charitably).

It just works in modern versions of Word under Windows, provided you have
a postscript printer.  Insert | Picture | From file ... and select the
file.  What does not work well is the preview, if the PS file has one
(which R ones do not).

Our secretaries were doing this (with S-PLUS figures) a decade ago, and it
worked the same way then.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk