[R] multiple numerical variables in aov

Rishabh Gupta rg117 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 10 22:26:53 CEST 2003

Hi all,
 I have a question regarding the anova function aov(). I want to perform an anova calculation
using one grouping variable but more than one numerical variables:
So instead of:
     aov(v ~ g)
I want something like
     aov(v1 + v2 + v3 ~ g)
Essentially I want to find out whether the variables v1, v2, v3, etc can collectively discriminate
between different values of variable g. Could somebody tell whether this is possible and if so
how?

Also, could somebody please tell me the difference between the aov() function and the anova()
function. I've been using aov() so far and it seems to work fine. Could somebody tell me what the
difference is and which one is better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

Rishabh