[R] local weight and coef from LOESS or locfit

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 09:27:58 CEST 2003

AFAIK they are not available, both in principle (the packages fit at a
smaller set of points and interpolate) and in practice (the fits at the
points where fitting is used are not retained in the Fortran/C code).

So it looks like the designers saw no need for these to be available, and
neither do I.  Given that loess and locfit are rather different (and
KernSmooth has locpoly too), *why* do you want these components of the
fits?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk