[R] SVM module: scaling data applied to new test set without using SVMagain

David Meyer david.meyer at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Apr 4 19:59:04 CEST 2003

seidel at micro-biolytics.com wrote:

> Hello!
>
> We are new in  using R.  We use the SVM module from the library 'e1071'
> for training.
>
> Problem formulation:
>
> a classification has been performed using SVM module (linear kernel).
> Later, a new data set (test set) comparable to the training data shall be
> scaled in the same way  as the training set (using the same scaling
> parameter set, but without using the SVM again to save time). We found the
> scaling matrices, but we do not know, how to apply them.

[note: in the `x.scale' element of the fitted model]

> How must the scaling parameter matrices (scaled:center and scaled:scale)
> be applied to the test data set to receive the same scaling as it would
> have been done by the SVM module?

the function `scale' has two parameters: `center' and `scale'.
So, you could do sth. like:

scale(newdata,
      center = model$x.scale$"scaled:center",
      scale = model$x.scale$"scaled:scale")

best,

David

> Thanx very much in advance!
>         [[alternate HTML version deleted]]

        Mag. David Meyer            Wiedner Hauptstrasse 8-10
Vienna University of Technology     A-1040 Vienna/AUSTRIA
         Department of              Tel.: (+431) 58801/10772
Statistics and Probability Theory   Fax.: (+431) 58801/10798