[R] R Foundation for Statistical Computing

Friedrich.Leisch@ci.tuwien.ac.at Friedrich.Leisch at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Apr 3 13:08:54 CEST 2003

The R Development Core Team would like to formally announce the
creation of the R Foundation for Statistical Computing. The Foundation
is incorporated in Austria and the specific details can be viewed at:

	http://www.r-project.org/foundation/

There are many reasons for this decision on our part, largely it is
based on the belief that R has become a mature and valuable tool and
we would like to ensure its continued development and the development
of future innovations in software for statistical and computational
research.

The R Foundation is a not for profit foundation whose general goals
are to provide support for the R project and other innovations in
statistical computing. The R Foundation will provide a reference point
for individuals, instititutions or commercial enterprises that want to
support or interact with the R development community.

We would like to solicit memberships from interested parties
(individual and institutional) in the R Foundation.  Details regarding
fees and membership categories can be obtained from the web site and
email enquiries can be sent to R-foundation at R-project.org.

Among the goals of the Foundation are the support of continued
development of R, the exploration of new methodology, teaching and
training of statistical computing and the organization of meetings and
conferences with a statistical computing orientation. We hope to
attract sufficient funding to make these goals realities.

For the R Development Core Team:

Robert Gentleman & Ross Ihaka
(Presidents, R Foundation)

Friedrich Leisch