[R] Autogenerated png, bitmap images

Pikounis, Bill v_bill_pikounis at merck.com
Wed Apr 2 17:05:55 CEST 2003

Hi Tony,
I looked over the files and I am puzzled why the difference in font sizes.
Unfortunately my knowledge about X window configurations is pretty scant.
(You mention in the shell script comments that you run the job as root, so I
wonder if that makes any difference to X..I doubt it).  I recall some
threads on X devices and font sizes in the R-help archives, so you may wish
to consult there. You also suggested an XFree86 list, and I think that would
be a good idea to post.

But as a potential workaround thru R, perhaps the cex settings (see ?par),
like cex, cex.axis, cex.lab, cex.main, and cex.sub could help you adjust the
font-sizes down to what you would like.

> > Adjusting the pointsize argument in png might help.
>
> I've played with this a little.  Any specific value you suggest?

I use pointsize = 10 in my set-up for png() with Xvfb, which is somewhat
different from the default (12).  It is hard to judge if that will reduce
your size enough.

Hope that helps,
Bill