[R] Can't run regression on G3 Mac

Peter Muhlberger peterm at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 1 23:42:58 CEST 2003

Hi, I'm new to R.  I was wondering if anyone has an OS X native installation
(not Carbon) of R on a G3 Macintosh that is able to run linear regression?
I installed Jan de Leeuw's R binary for OS 10.2 Jaguar on my laptop, which
is still a G3 model.  When I try to run a simple regression, using lm, I get
an "Illegal Instruction" message and R quits.  Jan thinks it may be the case
that his R binary depends on a G4 instruction (I could provide console
output, but I don't know what it means).  Anyway, I'm curious if there is
*some* way of getting R running without this problem on a G3.  Perhaps I
should try installing R using Fink?  Are there instructions for how to do
this somewhere?  (Wish I didn't have to install the developer tools, because
there isn't a lot of space on my hard disk.)

Cheers,

Peter