[R] monte carlo method for circle area

Douglas Trainor trainor at uic.edu
Tue Apr 1 00:27:22 CEST 2003

Roxana,

Ignoring R for the moment...
I'm not sure I understand your nxn window thing, but:
if you have a circle with center (A,B) and radius R,
and you have a given point (X,Y), if you conceptually
translate everything by (-A,-B), so now you have a circle
with center (0,0) and radius R, and the point (X-A,Y-B).

The given point (X,Y) is inside the original circle
if sqrt((X-A)*(X-A)+(Y-B)*(Y-B)) < R.

The given point (X,Y) is outside the original circle
if sqrt((X-A)*(X-A)+(Y-B)*(Y-B)) > R.

If sqrt((X-A)*(X-A)+(Y-B)*(Y-B)) = R,
then it's exactly on the edge of the circle.

If you generate many pseudo-random points (X,Y) uniformly
within a box where:  A-R < X < A+r and B-R < Y < B+r, then
you just need to count how many satisfy
sqrt((X-A)*(X-A)+(Y-B)*(Y-B)) < R and how many
do not.  Or should that be <= R ?  I just got off an
airplane, but it goes something like that.

For extra credit, how many points (X,Y) do you
need on average to calculate the area within some
margin of error (delta)?

    douglas