[R] nonpos. def. var-cov matrix

Paul, David A paulda at BATTELLE.ORG
Tue Apr 1 00:06:38 CEST 2003

R 1.6.2 for Windows, Win2k:

I have fitted a weighted least squares model using the code

"wls.out <- gls(y ~ x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 + x5 + x6 - 1, data = foo.frame,
weights = varConstPower(form = ~ fitted(.), fixed = list(power = 0.5),
const = 1))"

The data has 62 rows and the response is zero when the covariates are
zero.  The purpose of the model was to account
for the the fact that the variances appear to increase linearly with
the fitted values in diagnostic plots.  When I use

"intervals(wls.out)"

R1.6.2 yields the message

"Error in intervals.gls(wls7.strat1) : Cannot get confidence
intervals on var-cov components: Non-positive definite approximate
variance-covariance"

Would I be correct in assuming that this means the form of the
weighting function is incorrect?  How might I examine the estimated
variance-covariance matrix?  Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Respectfully,

 David Paul