[R] Make on RedHat 8.0

Martyn Plummer plummer at iarc.fr
Mon Oct 21 17:49:45 CEST 2002

On 20-Oct-2002 Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> Hallo R-help,
>>
>> I am experiencing difficulty when making R on RedHat Linux 8.0. I'm not
>> able to display my plots with the R-Viewer. The default file
>> 'Rplots.ps' is also not consistent with the last plot so that I can't
>> use an external PS-Viewer to view my plots. Does R support RH 8.0? Do
>> you have any suggestions on how I can solve this problem? Is a .RPM
>> planned for the near future?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Chris.
>
> Chris,
>
> I now have a dual-boot WinXP Pro/RH 8.0 system running on a Dell i8200
> laptop and recently downloaded the 1.6.0 source RPM from CRAN
> (http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/SRPMS/). I did an "rpmbuild
> --rebuild" on it and installed the resultant RPM. I have not attempted
> to build R from "pure" source, though I do have the source tarball.
>
> So far it seems to be working well, though I will acknowledge that I
> have not performed extensive testing on it.
>
> The one thing to note is that the resultant RPM file is about 10.8 Mb
> versus the RH 7.x RPM at 11.4 Mb. I am not sure if I erred in the
> building of the 8.0 RPM or if this is to be expected as a result of the
> changes in RH 8.0.
>
> Chris, if you have some sample code/data, I would be happy to test it on
> my system.
>
> I am also copying Martyn Plummer, as the RH maintainer on this, to
> solicit any feedback. If the RPM that I have created is valid, I would
> be more than happy to make it available for CRAN. If it is not, I would
> be happy to engage in appropriate changes to make it so.

I wasn't able to create an RPM for Red Hat 8.0 because it was released
a mere two days before R 1.6.0.  I have ordered a copy and it is on
its way.  Several people have offered to create RPMS for Red Hat 8.0,
but I am turning down such offers because I don't want to temporarily
hand over the job of creating RPMS to someone else.  I hope that only a
few early adopters of Red Hat 8.0 have been inconvenienced by the lack
of RPMS. They should be up by the end of the week.

I'll look into these issues when I get it. One thing I can say is
that if the RPM builds, then R passes "make check".

Martyn
Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch