[R] Seeking compiled OS X "contrib" packages

Bear F. Braumoeller bfbraum at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Oct 16 03:10:32 CEST 2002

Does anyone out there have a complete set of compiled packages (libraries)
in the "contributed" category (i.e. not base or recommended) for a
Macintosh running OS X?  How about a relatively complete set?

I am running the precompiled version of R 1.6.0 written by Stefano Iacus
(Stefano, if you're reading this, it's terrific).  The only problem is
that there's no facility for importing and processing new packages.  I
downloaded the "how to download and build your own additional packages"
file that Stefano wrote.  I downloaded MPW and MacPerl, as well as all of
the ancillary files, and after some trial and error got everything
running.  I then spent seven solid hours trying to get it to build even a
single package.  No dice.  I kept getting errors of one kind or another
(my R 1.6 came with no "share" directory, so I copied the one from 1.5.1;
Perl needed a handful of files copied into the working directory, so I did
so; and so forth).

Finally, I got it to produce a sample library (bootstrap) that looked like
it should work, right down to the "built" line in the doc file.  Not a
single error.  Unfortunately, R still does not recognize it as a
legitimate library/package, and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

I know I'm not a programmer (for one thing, they get paid better than I
do), and I know that I will be roundly derided as a wimp for writing this,
but I give up.  Has anyone out there accomplished this feat (or imported
the contrib packages via the XWindows version), and if so, would you be
willing to end my suffering?  I have seen some posted online, but as luck
would have it they don't overlap much with the ones I'm interested in.
I'd rather try to get them all in one fell swoop.

Thanks,
-Bear

Bear F. Braumoeller
Assistant Professor