[R] help ! calculating relative mortality using survival5

Roger.Lee@hannover-re.com Roger.Lee at hannover-re.com
Thu Oct 10 15:27:59 CEST 2002

Hi All,

I am relatively new to R (took a class 2 yrs ago ...), and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction for a problem I'd like to solve in R :

I would like to calculate the relative mortality of a particular impairment, relative to the standard population.

I.e. I'm trying to find S_relative(t) in the eqn below :

  S_impar(t) = S_standard(t) * S_relative(t)

where S_standard(t) is the mortality of the general population, and S_impar is the mortality of the the impaired group under consideration.

Is doing something like this possible in R ?

I have a dataset for an impaired group containing survival time (x), and an right-censoring indicator (ind), from which I can get the estimated survival function S_impar(t), using something like fit<-survfit(Surv(x,ind)~1).

And from some statistics literature, I gather I can get what I want using "ratetable", "survexp" and "offset".

But I've poured through the help files, but I still have some questions ... specifically,

I have a table of probabilities of death on each day for each age for the general population. How do I convert that into a table that ratetable can use ? And how would I read in that table ? (i.e. How do I get S_standard(t) from the table I have ?)

And what is the survfit function to use to calculate S_relative(t) ?

Any ideas ? If someone has done something similar to this, I'd love to hear their approach. Thanks you so much !

Roger

Roger Lee
Hannover Life Reassurance (Ireland) Ltd
4 Custom House Plaza, IFSC, Dublin 1, Ireland
Tel: +353 1 612-5872 Fax: +353 1 673-6917
roger.lee at hannover-re.com
http://www.hannoverlifere.com

======   Legal Disclaimer   ======

As you may know, emails sent via Internet can easily be altered or manipulated by third persons. For this reason, we do not assume any responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.
Furthermore please note that the information (including any attachments) in this email is strictly confidential and solely intended for the addressee named above. If you are neither the intended recipient nor an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, we hereby notify you that any form of unauthorized use, publication, reproduction, copying or disclosure of this emails contents is not permitted.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete the email from your computer system.

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch