[R] SVD for reducing dimensions

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 09:42:37 CET 2002

A couple of pointers:

a) the result of read.table is not a matrix but a data frame, so you need
to ensure you have a matrix.  as.matrix would help, but I suspect you
would do better to use scan() if the matrix is at all large.

b) You seem to be describing a skeletal version of principal components
analysis. PCA will give as many PCs as input dimensions unless told
otherwise.  Reading up about PCA (and feature extraction methods more
generally) would be helpful, I think.  PCA can `predict' new points.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch