[R] Did something big change in 1.5?

Stuart Luppescu s-luppescu at uchicago.edu
Mon May 6 19:31:16 CEST 2002

I can't remember the programming term -- ``implicit declaration''? Has
this changed between 1.4.1 and 1.5? This code used to run as is:

for (i in 1:length(diff.time)) {
  if (diff.time[i] < 16) {
    total.time[i] <- ifelse(i==1, 7.5, total.time[i-1]) + diff.time[i]
    last.time[i] <- 0
  }
  else {
    total.time[i] <- 7.5
    last.time[i-1] <- 1
  }
}

Now in 1.5 I get messages saying, Object "total.time" not found. (Same
thing for last.time, as well.) However, if I include
total.time <- NA
last.time <- NA
before this piece of code, it runs fine. Why should this be?

Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu at uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR
才文と智奈美の父 -=-    Kernel 2.4.18-xfs-1.1
In Devon, Connecticut, it is unlawful to walk
 backwards after sunset.