[R] Re: Detailed instructions for building packages

Witold Eryk Wolski wolski at molgen.mpg.de
Fri May 3 16:11:53 CEST 2002

Dear Duncan!
I will if i will be able to build a simple package without any C or F
code on my computer running Windows 2000.
But i am not. And im going more and more frustrated.

I went so far:
1. I generated a skeleton using the function:
package.skeleton()

After that I edited a little the file R Description and called thinking
that now the html documents will be generated the install.packages function.

install.packages("c:/prog/r/rw1041/myfiles/test/masspec",CRAN=NULL)
updating HTML package descriptions
Warning message:
argument `lib' is missing: using C:/prog/R/rw1041/library in:
install.packages("c:/prog/r/rw1041/myfiles/test/masspec", CRAN = NULL)

But than i got this.

 > library(masspec)
Error in library(masspec) : There is no package called `masspec'

With rcmd install
i passed the build process.
but the install fails.

C:\prog\R\rw1041\library>rcmd install masspec

make: Entering directory `/cygdrive/c/prog/r/rw1041/src/gnuwin32'
make DLLNM= \
  -C C:/prog/R/rw1041/library/masspec PKG=masspec RHOME=c:/prog/r/rw1041
RLIB=c:/prog/r/rw1041/library \
  -f c:/prog/r/rw1041/src/gnuwin32/MakePkg
make: Entering an unknown directory
make: *** C:/prog/R/rw1041/library/masspec: No such file or directory.
Stop.
make: Leaving an unknown directory
make: *** [pkg-masspec] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/c/prog/r/rw1041/src/gnuwin32'
*** Installation of masspec failed ***

I have no C or F code included in my functions!!!

I am really frustrated now. Any help appreciated.
I can't believe that such a basic functionality as building a package
has to be so complicated. Therefore i am quite sure i have overseen some
really simple thing.

Sincerely.
Eryk

--