[R] RE: step, leaps, lasso, LSE or what?

Frank, Murray murray.frank at commerce.ubc.ca
Fri Mar 1 19:57:38 CET 2002

Thanks for the most informative, and helpful feedback.

Professor Ripley wrote:
(most of his message has been edited out)
>There are big differences between regression with only continuous variates,

>and regression involving hierarchies of factors. step/stepAIC include the
>latter, the rest do not.
In much of Venables and Ripley, bootstrapping keeps popping up. Is there a
reason not to run step/stepAIC repeatedly on bootstrapped samples from the
original data? On the face of it, bootstrapping seems intuitively appealing
in this context. (Would some form of cross-validation on subsamples be
better?)

>But generally model
>averaging (which you have not mentioned and is for regression a form of
>shrinkage) seems to have most support for prediction.

What do you mean by model averaging? It does not seem to match the
discussion
of model selection that I found in Venables and Ripley (ie pages 186-188).

>Lots of hyperbolic claims, no references.  But I suspect this is `ex-LSE'
>methodology, associated with Hendry's group (as PcGive and Ox are), and
>there is a link to Hendry (who is in Oxford).

Quite right. It is the Hendry group. As far as I can figure out, the main
specific references are to:
Hoover, K. D., and Perez, S. J. (1999). Data mining reconsidered:
Encompassing
and the general-to specific approach to specification search. Econometrics
Journal, 2, 167-191.

Hoover, K. D., and Perez, S. J. (2001). Truth and robustness in
cross-country
growth regressions. unpublished paper, Economics Department, University of
California, Davis.

>It has a different aim, I believe.  Certainly `effectiveness' has to be
>assessed relative to a clear aim, and simulation studies with true models
>don't seem to me to have the right aim.

As suggested, the Hoover and Perez papers are basically simulation studies
where finding a true model was the aim. The working paper on growth
regressions
tries to go further, and seems to have reasonable sounding economic
conclusions.

>Statisticians of the Box/Cox/Tukey
>generation would say that effectiveness in deriving scientific insights
>was the real test (and I recall hearing that from those I named).

It is hard to argue with that claim. But it is equally hard to see it as
complete. How do we define "scientific insight"? Or is it one of those cases
of: "I don't know how to define it, but I know it when I see it"?

Murray Z. Frank
B.I. Ghert Family Foundation Professor
Strategy & Business Economics
Faculty of Commerce