[R] re: GUI's for teaching

Emmanuel Paradis paradis at isem.univ-montp2.fr
Tue Jun 25 15:05:04 CEST 2002

Hi,

Have you seen the tcltk package? I believe it is a better option than the
one you outline in your message. Why develop a Windows-only GUI? Maybe in a
few years your teaching department will give up Windows for Linux (for the
reasons you wrote about R: it is free, advanced, and adaptable). There is
an article in R News (vol.1, n°3) by Peter Dalgaard on the tcltk package,
and the latter includes a few nice examples. You need to install Tcl/Tk: it
is free and can run on many OSs.

BTW, are GUIs the best way to teach stats? I recommend newcomers to R to
save their command lines in a text file in order to able to source() them
later. Quite often you need to re-do an analysis, because you have new
data, you want to change a parameter, fit new models, ...

Emmanuel Paradis

(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch