[R] re: GUI's for teaching

David Orlovich David.Orlovich at botany.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jun 25 14:57:10 CEST 2002

Hello R people.
This year I introduced R into an undergraduate Botany class and they
handled it quite well too.  The exercise was a simple one that was
heavily guided in the notes, but they were able to do simple
multivariate analyses and plot nice annotated graphs and dendrograms
using the command line by the end of the first lab class - and I could
tell they felt empowered by the deeper understanding they got from doing
the analyses step by step.  We also had a recent 4-day workshop on
multivariate stats and R where 80 postgrad students and staff all got
introduced to R on the last day.  Suddenly R went from something unheard
of by many of our students to something they all felt they could at
least try to learn about, which is just fantastic.

The comments of one person who responded to this thread suggested that R
is primarily used by researchers who have high level needs:

 >most users of R tend to be in research, or
 >have a requirement for flexability from a suitably heavyweight language.
 >Few using R are unfamilier with programming at some level and really for
 >these people there is no need to have anything other than the command
 >interpreter.

but from my point of view it is something that has many applications at
the undergraduate level and will replace expensive software packages
used by postgrads and academics alike in Biology Departments where
statistics is the tool and not the main focus of the research effort.
My main concern of late is not a problem with the command line
interface, but the messages on these email lists about how easy it
should be for Mac users of R to run the Darwin version and not the
carbonised version of R.  It'll be one thing (easy) to get undergrads
and postgrads interested in using R - even playing around with it in
their own time on their home computers!, but expecting them to learn
UNIX geek-speak as well might just put it out of reach for many of
them.  Cheers!  David Orlovich.

On Wednesday, June 26, 2002, at 12:12  AM, Frank E Harrell Jr wrote:

> [...]
>> takers in the faculty.
>>
>> What I want to know is this: can anyone give me a quote on what it will
>> cost to develop a RWindows clone of the Minitab GUI. This GUI would
>> support initially the simple six (EDA, probabilities and quantiles of
>> distributions, t-tests,one-way anova, chi-square, and simple linear
>> regression), and have the potential to develop into the next level of
>> statistical analysis (glms, multivariate methods, time series and
>> spatial - analytical problems common across our faculty). If the cost
>> of
>> development is comparable to present licence maintenance fees at FNAS
>> then I think our small group can argue for its adoption. Not only that,
>> the benefits to undergraduate teaching in other universities would be
>> immense. If development costs are high then other faculties at other
>> universities, where the software licencing arrangements are also
>> troublesome, are also invited to participate in this potential project.
>>
>> I imagine this question has been discussed before, but I hope to have
>> but an interesting turn to it.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Rohan Sadler
>> Ecosystems Research Group
>> School of Plant Biology (Botany)
>> Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences
>>
>> +61 8 9380 7914
>>
>> -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
>> -.-.-.-
>> r-help mailing list -- Read http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-
>> FAQ.html
>> Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
>> (in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-
>> request at stat.math.ethz.ch
>> _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.
>> _._._._
>
> I teach new students using primarily commands.  The first 3 weeks are
> tough, but then the use of commands over GUIs starts to pay off.  So I
> don't think it is worth a major effort to implement GUIs, and the GUIs
> would always lag behind R development.  A better approach would be to
> implement the most often needed analyses on a Web server using R and
> Perl etc.  See
> http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat/teaching/statcomp for links to
> some good examples (although for more complex analyses than you need).
> -Frank
>
> --
> Frank E Harrell Jr              Prof. of Biostatistics & Statistics
> Div. of Biostatistics & Epidem. Dept. of Health Evaluation Sciences
> U. Virginia School of Medicine  http://hesweb1.med.virginia.edu/biostat
> -.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-
> .-.-.-
> FAQ.html
> Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
> (in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch
> _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

Dr David Orlovich,
Ecology, Conservation and Biodiversity Research Group,
Department of Botany,
The University of Otago
PO Box 56,
Dunedin, New Zealand.

Telephone: (03) 479 9060 (international +643 479 9060)
Mobile: 021 133 9773 (international +6421 133 9773)
Fax: (03) 479 7583 (international +643 479 7583)
WWW: http://www.otago.ac.nz/botany/ and http://telperion.otago.ac.nz/erg/
email: david.orlovich at botany.otago.ac.nz