[R] Barplot coloring question

Shravan Vasishth vasishth at coli.uni-sb.de
Mon Jul 29 17:01:05 CEST 2002

Hi Marc,

Thanks for that very helpful explanation about barplot's innards.  Your
suggestion works perfectly for NR = 1, so that problem is resolved. Now on
to NR > 1. I am trying the following. I am trying to define a new
function, mybarplot, in which the assumption is that the colors are
presented as a matrix, so:

v <- c("red","yellow","green")

colormatrix <- cbind(v,v,v,v,v,v)

which gives:

> colormatrix
     v        v        v        v        v        v
[1,] "red"    "red"    "red"    "red"    "red"    "red"
[2,] "yellow" "yellow" "yellow" "yellow" "yellow" "yellow"
[3,] "green"  "green"  "green"  "green"  "green"  "green"

Now, the crucial change to the barplot code is that I add another
for-loop:

  if (beside)
            xyrect(0, w.l, c(height), w.r, horizontal = horiz,
                col = col)
        else {
            for (i in 1:NC) {
                     for (j in 1:NR) { # new loop added
                       col = col[,i]
                       xyrect(height[1:NR, i], w.l[i], height[-1, i],
                            w.r[i], horizontal = horiz, col = col[j])
                     }
            }
        }

The reasoning here is that if beside = FALSE, and I have a data
structure data3 like this:

   A  A  B  B  C  C
1  5 10 15 20 70 90
2 20 15 24 56 34 70
3 40 54 23 67 12 78

then, for each column of data3, cycle through the colors "red", "yellow",
and "green". This means that for each column in data3, I successively do
the following for the j (= 3) rows of data3: get the color-vector
corresponding to the current column from data3 (I want to enforce this
correspondence for now so that I can have alternating triplets of colors
if I want). That is, I get the three colors in a vector (col = col[,i]),
and then go through these colors in turn, i.e., get the jth color each
time (this is the intended purpose of the inner for loop).

So, the call to mybarplot would be:

mybarplot(data3,
        beside=FALSE,
        col= colormatrix,
        width = c(1,.55),
        space = c(2.75,.25),
        axes = F)

But this doesn't work; I get the message:

"Error in col[, i] : incorrect number of dimensions"

If you can easily see what's wrong here in my code, please do tell.
Meanwhile I will keep trying to figure out what I'm missing.

A propos, how do I find out how exactly "xyrect" is defined?

Many thanks again for spending so much time on this. I'm learning a lot...

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 18:36:45 -0500
> From: Marc Schwartz <mschwartz at medanalytics.com>
> To: 'Shravan Vasishth' <vasishth at CoLi.Uni-SB.DE>, r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
> Subject: RE: [R] Barplot coloring question
>
> > I have snipped the original message text to conserve space, since my
> reply is long.
>
> The source of the problem that you are having in trying to get the
> colors to cycle in the case where you only have one row in your matrix
> (data2), is in the way that the rectangles are drawn in barplot(). The
> way it is coded, it precludes cycling the colors when beside = FALSE and
> there is only one vector of height values.

<snip>

--
Dr. Shravan Vasishth                           Phone: +49 (681) 302 4504
Computational Linguistics, Universität des Saarlandes, Postfach 15 11 50