[R] Sweave & xtable [problem solved/workaround -> bug in xtable or textConnection?]

ripley@stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Dec 22 09:20:02 CET 2002

Connections do correctly give you a warning if the internal line limit is
exceeded.  This is docuemnted in the source code, which is there for you
to read. It is naive to assume that systems have arbitrary line-length
limits: many do not including the Unix terminal/shells I use. (And that is
not in their man pages either.)

Looks to me as if text connections are being used where anonymous file
connections would be much more appropriate.

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, Hedderik van Rijn wrote:

[...]

> If the truncation of long strings is official/known behavior of
> textConnection, the following text in textConnection's help page might
> need some revision, i.e., some more explicit statement that long
> strings might get truncated. (And, maybe also a definition of what a
> "completed line of output" is, i.e., ending in a "\n".)

Whatever else could it mean?  I doubt if the end user would know what \n
means if (s)he is so naive as not to know what an incomplete line is!

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk