Part II Re: [R] read.ssd {foreign} (Reading a permanent SAS d ataset into an R data frame)

Stephen Arthur sarthur67 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 20 20:07:03 CET 2002

Thomas,

Your point is well taken.  I spoke with the people at
SAS again, and they said that a reason why I was
having a problem with the SAS xpt file, is that my
variable names are sometimes longer than 8 characters
long.

PROC COPY puts a limit of 8 characters length to
variable names.  Does R have a limit to the length of
variable names?

Instead, I used PROC CPORT, which can handle variable
names longer than 8 characters long, successfully.

proc cport library=src2rd file=tranfile;
 select use;
run;

But now, when I try to use the R function
'read.xport', I get the following error message:

read.xport("J:\\QM\\Reports\\Sarthur\\SAS_Application\\SAS_Data_Sets\\use")

Error in lookup.xport(file) : unable to open file

Thanks,

Stephen