[R] Printing correlation matrices (lm/glm)

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Fri Dec 20 12:13:03 CET 2002

On 20-Dec-02 Ted Harding wrote:
> I had spent ages with "?" and "help.search" (e.g. "summary.lm",
> "summaru.glm", "summary", "print", "symbolic", "corr" ... ) trying
> to find something relevant, with no success. Following your mail, I
> grepped right down /usr/lib/R, first for "symbolic.corr" (with no
> success) and then for "symbolic", and finally found "symbolic.cor"
> in a help file for "lm.summary" in package "base" (Also "glm.summary").
>
> On 20-Dec-02 Liaw, Andy wrote:
>> Try print(summary(lm2, corr=TRUE), symbolic.corr=FALSE).  It *is* in
>> the help page.

I've found something now!

In fact "methods(print)" lists, inter alia, "print.lm", and "?print.lm"
shows it in the "Usage" section as an item in a parameter list:

     print(summary.lm.obj, digits = max(3, getOption("digits") - 3),
           symbolic.cor = p > 4,
           signif.stars= getOption("show.signif.stars"), ...)

However, the parameter "symbolic.cor" is not mentioned anywhere else
in the rest of the help page, which is why I missed it!

(This is not the first time I've wished it were easier to track down
the detail you're looking for in R help, though this seems to have
been a particularly tough nut).

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972