[R] Running R on a Local Area Network

Henri Tourneur htourneur at free.fr
Wed Dec 18 08:55:03 CET 2002

A couple of months ago I downloaded R 1.6.0's binary for Windows, which I have
since been using without any particular problem, that is  on one machine running
Windows 98.

Last week I set up a local network and have since tried to use R remotely, i.e.
R is installed on the previous machine and nowhere else.  On the client's side,
the GUI opens correctly and allows me to do simple computations such as
x<-1:20
y<-1:20
plot(x,y)

So far, so good. Problem  is with packages which I don't seem to be able to
access on the server (locally, I repeat, this works fine)

i.e. when I try library()
I get

no packages found
Warning message:
libraries `//ServerComputer/c/Program Files/R/rw1060/library',
`//SERVERCOMPUTER/C/PROGRA~1/R/RW1060/library' contain no packages in: library()

Does that ring any bell to one of you  ?  Am I trying to do something R was
never designed to do in the first place ?

Henri