[R] new package "vcd" 0.1-3

Achim Zeileis zeileis at ci.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 16 11:04:08 CET 2002

Dear R users,

there is a new package on CRAN called `vcd' for visualizing categorical
data. It basically implements a set of visualization techniques together
with a large collection of data sets and examples from the book
"Visualizing Categorical Data" by Michael Friendly. By now the features
of the package essentially cover chapters 2-4 from the book:
  o fitting and graphing discrete distributions:
    goodness-of-fit tests for poisson, binomial and negative binomial
    distribution; rootograms; Ord plots; poissonness plots.
  o 2-way contingency tables:
    improved fourfold displays (compared to base); trilinear plots;
    sieve diagrams, agreement charts.
  o mosaic displays for n-way tables:
    improved mosaicplots (compared to base); mosaic matrices.
We work on extensions enhancing several functions so this is very much
work-in-progress, but we wanted to provide a first version which already
offers a lot of functionality. Furthermore we intend to implement
further visualization tools for categorical data, in particular for
loglinear models.
The DESCRIPTION of the package is given below.
Best wishes,
Achim Zeileis

Package: vcd
Version: 0.1-3