[R] Creating libraries: Cannot make help

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Dec 16 08:46:03 CET 2002

Peter Dunn wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am trying to package a library in R 1.6.1 (Windoze XP).
>
> I have read the document "Writing R extensions" and think I
> have done things correctly (though apparently not).  I have
> searched the mail archives for help to no avail.
>
> I also posted a few days ago and thanks to Peter Dalgaard I have
> managed to focus my search for errors.
>
> I am trying to create a library in R.  I run the INSTALL
> script and installing the R files in the library itself go
> fine; the message is
>
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
>   installing R files
>
> Indeed, after loading the library, I can use these files.
> But creating the help is causing troubles:
>
>   installing man source files
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/cygdrive/d/pkd/research/tweedie/libraries/R/<lib-name>'
> make: *** [pkg-<lib-name>] Error 255
> make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32'
>
> *** Installation of <lib-name> failed ***
>
> And so while the library files work, there is no help available.
>
> Without knowing Perl or anything, I seem to have found the line in
> the INSTALL script that causes things to die (line break added):
>
>     if(system("make -C $R_HOME/src/gnuwin32 PKGDIR=$pkgdir
>        RLIB=$library SAVE=$save $helpflags $makecmd-$pkgname")){
>
> If I run this command in a Cygwin window,

In a *cygwin* window? In think compiling in a cygwin shell is not
documented to work.
Please try to compile from a windows command shell.

> expanding the variable names,
> I get this (abbreviated, editted) message:
>
> ---------- Making package <lib-name> ------------
> mkdir -p d:/Programs/R/rw1061/library/<lib-name>
> cp -r   ./INDEX  ./TITLE ./contents ./index.bak
> d:/Programs/R/rw1061/library/<lib-name>/
>   adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/<path>/libraries/R/<lib-name>'
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32/help'
> Makefile:42: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Is your MkRules file edited appropriately (see
.../src/gnuwin32/readme.packages for a note on preserving tabs in
MkRules)?

> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32/help'
> make: *** [pkg-<lib-name>] Error 2
> make: Leaving directory `/cygdrive/d/Programs/R/rw1061/src/gnuwin32'
>
> It indicates a missing separator.  But my knowledge of Perl and
> Makefiles
> is basically zip (apart from what I learnt to get this far).
>
> My running the appropriate commands my self, I can generate, eg, html
> files so there is nothing wrong with my  sgml  source files.  But
> running
> the INSTALL script fails to create anything help-ful.
>
> Can anyone help me sort out what I am doing wrong or why I am getting
> these
> messages?

Additionally to the things mentioned above: Please follow
readme.packages exactly (i.e. install *all* the tools mentioned in
there).

Uwe Ligges