[R] Excluding levels in table and xtabs

kjetil halvorsen kjetilh at umsanet.edu.bo
Thu Dec 12 01:33:03 CET 2002

Hola!

Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Michael Friendly wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to form contingincy tables among a set of character variables
> > which were read from a .csv file and
> > have missing represented as "".  I want to exclude the missing levels
> > from the table.
>
> I think this is a bug. The exclude= argument doesn't work for factors,
> because the argument is passed to factor(), and its exclude argument has
> a different format when the main argument is a factor.

I dot think that is correct. table doesnt call factor on factors, so the
exclude argument doesnt get used at all. I had the oposite problem as
the original poster.
To include NA's as a level in a table. Why should't table simply call
factor also on factor arguments, so the exclude argument to table get
used in this case to. I modifyed table to Table doing this, and it
works, the only problem being that NA is not labelled in the table.

Kjetil Halvorsen