[R] C caron character in R

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Wed Dec 11 11:13:03 CET 2002

p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk said:
> I can't help you with concrete advice but your symptoms would seem
> consistent with your computer(s) trying to use WinLatin1 which has the
> s and z caron letters, but not c caron.

> See for instance http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html which I
> found via a page by one of your compatriots at http://nl.ijs.si/gnusl/
> cee/iso8859-2.html

> [BTW, the letter you're seeing instead of c/C caron is e/E *grave* not
> acute -- both sit at c8/e8 in latin-1 resp. -2, whereas e/E acute is
> c9/e9 in both variants]

Indeed, it seems that iso-8859-2 for c-caron (isn't that ha¨ek in czech?) is
displayed as e-grave (è) in Latin-1 (iso-8859-1 and iso-8859-15):

       347   231   E7     ç     LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CEDILLA
       350   232   E8     è     LATIN SMALL LETTER C WITH CARON
       351   233   E9     é     LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE

(where the iso-8859-15 display shows e-grave for the middle row, what ever it
looks in various mail programs around the world).

It seems that Windows uses codepage 1250 which is not identical to iso-8859-2,
although R may think so. It may that the difference bites here. The following
(Slovenian: Uni of Ljubljana) page list mainly Linux-specific solutions, but
has some hints for Microsoft Windows as well. These might be (or might not be)
compatible with R:

http://nl.ijs.si/gnusl/cee/iso8859-2.html

cheers, jari oksanen
(who knows ¨ and ¸, but lacks c-caron which would be needed in Sámi language,
but is fortunately available in LaTeX with Babel).
--
Jari Oksanen -- Biologian laitos, Oulun yliopisto, 90014 Oulu
Puh. (08) 553 1526, käsi 040 5136529, fax (08) 553 1061