[R] strange QQ-Plot

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Dec 8 19:25:04 CET 2002

Dear Fred,

At 06:31 PM 12/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:

>i am working on a data set with EDA. That includes QQ-Plots of
>residuals vs expected normal distribution.
>What puzzles me is that the range of ordinate and abscissae is
>so different: while the theoretical quantiles range from [-2, 2]
>the sample quantiles on the ordinate do extent from [-20, 50].
>Quite obviously some kind of transformation is done.
>
>Although i intensively RTFM i could not find, what is done here.
>What exactly characterizes the range of the ordinate in QQ-Plots ?

I assume that you're plotting against the quantiles of the standard normal
distribution. Unless your residuals are standardized, there's no reason to
suppose that the scales would be similar. Moreover, one generally looks
simply for a linear pattern in the QQ plot, suggesting that the data might
come from the reference distribution, though possibly with a different
centre and scale. Various departures from linearity in the plot suggest
skewness, heavy tails, outliers, etc., relative to the reference distribution.

I hope that this helps,
  John
John Fox
Department of Sociology