[R] [R]How to plot a 3D ellipsoid in R?

Ben Bolker ben at zoo.ufl.edu
Thu Dec 5 20:06:03 CET 2002

  R is not particularly good for this task.  Search the mailing list
archives for solutions ... Duncan Murdoch has a package called rgl that
works under Windows with OpenGL, but as far as I can tell you'd still have
to write your own function to put together the primitives for an ellipsoid
(http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/).  Another choice is my
LG3d package, in the bbmisc bundle at http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker/R/src
or /windows, which constructs an HTML file which can be dynamically
rotated with a Java applet from elsewhere.

  Mathematica, Maple, Matlab ( ... I don't know what Octave's capabilities
are in this regard ...) are other possibilities.

  Ben