[R] R and DirectFB

Johnny Accot accot at almaden.ibm.com
Wed Dec 4 02:28:05 CET 2002

Hi,

I joined the mailing list yesterday and I am very pleased to hear about this SIG-GUI initiative.  Personally I have often thought about the UI aspects of R, but more in a "toolkit approach".  More precisely I wanted (but lacked time) to see if it is easy/possible to interface R with DirectFB (http://directfb.org) under Linux.  My dream would be to have R drive the whole framebuffer, using the Gtk port to DirecFB (http://directfb.org/gtk.xml) or a simple graphical toolkit written in R on top of DirectFB.  The new toolkit would have antialiasing and transparency capabilities, and would be much faster/simpler than its X counterpart.

Would anybody else be interested in such a thing?  Would you have an idea of the difficulty to interface R with DirectFB? (in particular in terms of event loop)

I would appreciate any comment or advice.

Thanks,

Johnny