[R] Is there plan to make R multithread?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Dec 3 03:34:03 CET 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:21:56PM -0800, A.J. Rossini wrote:

>     mingliz> Hello R Pioneers, I sometimes use R on a dual CPU PC
>     mingliz> runing Linux and find that only 1 CPU is used even when
>     mingliz> no other user/process competes for resources.  Can we
>     mingliz> make R uses both CPUs to have the job done sooner?  I
>     mingliz> know this is probably asking too much for something that
>     mingliz> is free.  Has anyone else thought about it?  Thanks.
>     mingliz> Ming Chow
>
> Search the mailing list for past discussions on this topic.  The short
> answer is no you can't do it.  The long answer is yes, you can do it
> with a bit of programming (using PVM/MPI and SNOW).

Also see http://developer.r-project.org and e.g. the bullet point

#  Luke's notes on threading, GUI, and asynchronous IO issues. Some of the
reference links are messed up; the full references are in the BibTeX file.
Duncan also has a set of notes on threading.

with its links.

Dirk

--
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future.
				             -- Niels Bohr