[R] Crawley's book on S-Plus and one strangeness

Matej Cepl matej at ceplovi.cz
Mon Dec 2 19:37:05 CET 2002

Hi,

I have got to my hands an excellent book by Michael J. Crawley
``Statistical Computing: An Introduction to Data Analysis using
S-Plus'' (John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, ISBN 0-471-56040-5). Its beauty
for me is in the fact, that it is more of ``An Introduction to
Data Analysis'' than ``using S-Plus'', but I guess that it may be
of interest for many others.

Most of the examples in the book are however taken from S-Plus
and using datasets provided with it. Is there anywhere a copy of
these datasets available for R?

And one small question aside: I was very much surprised (in this
book as well as on this list) how many times people use
sqrt(var(x)) when what they want to say (IMHO) is sd(x). Is it
just a macho way to show that I understand more complicated
things, or is there any real difference between the two?

Have a nice day,

	Matej

--
Matej Cepl, matej at ceplovi.cz,
Finger: 89EF 4BC6 288A BF43 1BAB  25C3 E09F EF25 D964 84AC

Science is meaningless because it gives no answer to our
question, the only question important to us: ``What shall we do
and how shall we live?''
    -- Lev Nikolaevich Tolstoy