[R] Structural TS and recursive estimation

julien.ruiz@airfrance.fr julien.ruiz at airfrance.fr
Mon Aug 5 11:21:35 CEST 2002

Hello everyone,

Since my question is quite theorical, I am not sure whether it is the right
place to ask, but anyway...
I am working on time series and I looked at some way to fit my data through
arima models.
Since these data are updated frequently, I was looking at a way to update
the model "on line" (to get a kind of recursive estimation)
So the next step was to express the arima models as state-space
(structural) models.
The idea was to use the recursive formulaes of a Kalman Filter, in order to
get an estimation of the kind of the recursive least square.
But it seems to me that the estimation of these structural models requires
a likelihood maximization which is not recursive.

So my question is :
In a structural model, can the likelihood maximization be done recursively
?

Upon what I read in 2 first articles of the 2/2 issue of R News, I don't
think it is done this way in R.

Thanks in advance,

      Julien

Les donnees et renseignements contenus dans ce message sont personnels, confidentiels et secrets. Ce message est adresse a l'individu ou l'entite dont les coordonnees figurent ci-dessus. Si vous n'etes pas le bon destinataire, nous vous demandons de ne pas lire, copier, utiliser ou divulguer cette communication. Nous vous prions de notifier cette erreur a l'expediteur et d'effacer immediatement cette communication de votre systeme.

The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure. This message is intended for the individual or entity adressed herein. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others ;also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch