[R] Array as time series?

Cowpertwait, Paul P.S.Cowpertwait at massey.ac.nz
Fri Sep 7 00:03:37 CEST 2001

If your data is a bit like rainfall at multiple sites, I could probably
offer some comments (assuming (x,y,z,t) is location and time?), although I
don't know how useful they will be for your particular application.

My (limited) experience is that R will do quite a lot up to bivariate time
series (e.g. ccf function), but beyond that you need to write your own code.
This could be in R, but may be more appropriate in a fully compiled language
(like C or Fortran) if you have a large data set (because R is too slow for
heavy number crunching work; although it appears to be faster than S-Plus).

Again I'm not sure whether this is relevant for your data set, but a fairly
common approach with climatological data is to attempt to reduce the
dimensions using principle components.  I understand PCA functions exist in
R, although I've never used them.  Depending on your data this approach may
simplify the problem.