[R] loading packages

Elena Moltchanova Elena.Moltchanova at ktl.fi
Tue Oct 23 14:35:17 CEST 2001

Thanks to Roger for pointing out the packages spweights and sptests to
me. I believe they will be quiet useful in my work. But... I can't get
them to work!

Firstly, I realised that a newer version of R is available. I have now
downloaded and installed it. When I try to 'install packages from CRAN'
I get:

trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/PACKAGES'
unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org'.
Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),
:
        cannot open URL
`http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/PACKAGES'

although my Netscape has no problems locating it.

Whan I unzip the files to the library-subdirectory the command

library(spweights)

results in

Warning message:
Package  `spweights' contains no R code in: library(pkg, character.only
= TRUE)

although library(help=spweights) produces a window with the desired
information.

I cannot use 'install package from local zip.-file' because the packages
are in .tar.gz-format.

Please tell me what am I missing here?

Best regards,

    Elena Moltchanova