[R] Type III sums of squares.

Bill.Venables@CMIS.CSIRO.AU Bill.Venables at CMIS.CSIRO.AU
Sun Oct 21 15:14:36 CEST 2001

Oh rats, not again.  Oh well.  Sigh.

I think it is Rolf who is doing the fulminating now.  Let me make a few
quick points in rejoinder and definitely leave it at that.

1. All "sums of squares" that I have ever seen proposed are geometrically
just the squared length of a projection onto the orthogonal complement of a
null hypothesis model subspace in a certain outer hypothesis model space.
As such they can be used to test that null within that outer hypothesis.
Hence there is only one Type of Sum of Squares and to coin others is to make
an artificial distinction where there is no difference.  In practice this
tends to obscure the essential simplicity of the idea and to encourage some
confusion.

2. Of course you can test aspects of main effects in the presence of
interactions just as you can test the hypothesis that the intercept of a
simple linear regression line is zero.  However you almost never want to do
that in practice.  The problem comes with people's perceptions.  It is very
tempting for some people to bypass embarrassingly significant interactions
because their interpretation is messy.  It seems far easier to cut straight
to the chase and to ask for a test of main effects that somehow bypasses
interactions so that you can get your head around the result more easily.
"Type III sums of squares", in providing a test of a generally uninteresting
hypothesis, run the risk of catering to this intellectually lazy whim that
many experimenters so crave.

Take it easy, Rolf.  I thought we were both on the same side.

Bill.