[R] R Introductory Slides...

Ko-Kang@xtra.co.nz Ko-Kang at xtra.co.nz
Tue Mar 6 10:40:42 CET 2001

Hi there,

I have just written a short introduction to R that I am intended to use in a tutorial in my programming club.

I wrote it as an undergraduate student.  Therefore I have put considerations on what kind of stuff will be of interests to most of the students.  Many of my friends I talked to didn't like R much, however after I showed them what it can do most of them were impressed and have since fall in love with it as myself.  The main reason is that in the courses that use R, they didn't put in a lot of concentration on the reasons of doing it, but rather the mechenics (how to use it).  As a result, as usual with many new technical programmes, students hated it until they realise WHY they should learn it and WHAT it is capable of.

As a result, when I wrote the Introductory slides, I wrote it in a way that how I, as a student, would like to learn it at the beginning.

I wrote it using Microsoft PowerPoint 2000.  Unfortunately I do realise that most of the R users use UNIX based operating systems (yes I have FreeBSD and Windows ME both running on my PC, I admit that using R on FreeBSD is much more stable...).  As a result I have produced 2 versions of pdf files from the PowerPoint file.  All of them can be found from http://www.stat.auckland.ac.nz/~kwan022/pub/R/Introduction/.  R_Intro.ppt file is obviously the PowerPoint file.  R_Intro_1up_Colour.pdf is for those of you who think the slides are worth of putting in front of students, can do so on OHP.  R_Intro_6up_BW.pdf is for black/white handouts printing.

For those who have Windows but do not have PowerPoint in the Office suite, there is a PowerPoint_Viewer.exe that can be downloaded and used to view the slides on screen.

One thing to note, since I have written it with the intention of showing in my "programming" club, it makes sense to put in a few technical slides on memory management.  I personally do not think it is easy to be learnt by general statistics major student who do not have any programming background.

I will be updating the slides in the future.  However in the mean time I will be greatly appreciate if those who decide to download my slides can give me some feedbacks, to my private mail address Ko-Kang at xtra.co.nz

Cheers,

Ko-Kang Wang

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang
Undergraduate Student (Final Year)