[R] Building R with Microsoft Visual C++

Neil Osborne nc_osborne at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 28 11:42:49 CEST 2001

Dear All,

I have been trying to build R using Microsoft Visual C++ (Ver 6) for the
last three and a half months. This has proved to be UNBELIEVABLY
frustrating. Unfortunately, I wasn't helped much by comments along the lines
of "RTFM" when I first asked for help from this group.

I decided to do it by myself, as the impression I got was that everybody was
to busy to help. However, after having wasted the last three and a half
months, I'm forced to come back, cup in hand. I would be very grateful to
hear from anyone who has managed to build R under VC++ 6.0, and even more
grateful, if they could e-mail me a VC project tthat builds R. It would not
be neccessary to include R the source files, since I can download these
myself. What would be useful though, would be the CORRECT tools (I spent
almost a month following links in the very useful Readme files) etc.

I  happened to stumble on R shortly after my Masters degree in Applied
Statistics. I think it's an AMAZING product, and the fact that it is open
source is even more amazing. I take off my hat to all those that helped to
make it a reality. My only gripe is that of "user-friendliness" when it
comes to building R. The impression I get is that this is a closely guarded
secret by old grey haired be-spectapled men in white coats with 50 or more
years of hacking UNIX, who don't have time to explain anything to any one,
and our stuck up in their own little world  of academia - Sorry ;-).

This is just the impression I get, and many students I've spoken to have the
same impression and so don't post to this group if they have any queries. I
expect anytime, to have some Professor e-mailing to "tell me off" for being
a naughty boy ! (and to kindly inform me that it's all in the FM!).

Anyway, I've had my rant (it's been threee and a half month's coming). If
you're too busy to bother about helping this "little boy" then DO NOT feel
obliged to REPLY to this mail. However, if there are any kind souls out
there who would like to give a helping hand to a young student who is
willing to learn, I will be most grateful to hear from you. As I mentioned
earlier, if you could e-mail a MSVC project that can just get me up and
running with building R, I will be forever grateful for your time, patience
andd kindness.

Sincerely,

N. Osborne

nc_osborne at hotmail.com