[R] Compiling 1.2.1 to Windows binary [SUMMARY]

Marc R. Feldesman feldesmanm at pdx.edu
Sun Jan 21 05:42:31 CET 2001

Thanks to Brian Ripley and Peter Dalgaard for suggestions that led to *a*
resolution of the problem compiling R 1.2.1 to a Windows binary.

The basic problem revolved around the inability of the makefile to locate
the hhc.exe file from the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop.  Although the
location was completely clear in the path statement at the NT level and
from within the cygwin shell, it couldn't be located during the
make.  Brian suggested moving hhc.exe to the Rtools directory, which
partially solved the problem.  It permitted the .chtml files to be
produced, but spawned a series of JScript errors along the way.

The crucial resolution lay in an offhand suggestion that Brian made (and
which Peter hinted at) about other elements being on the same logical drive
with HTML Help Workshop.  As it turned out, I placed HTML Help Workshop on
my logical E: drive, while all the other elements needed to make R were
located on the logical F: drive.  Again, even though the paths were quite
clear in the shell, placing the different components on different logical
drives is too confusing in the cygwin environment.  When I uninstalled HTML
Help Workshop from the E: drive, rebooted and reinstalled it to the F:
drive, the make proceeded without error.

I don't know whether this should be part of the instructions for building R
from source or not, but it certainly does appear that everything needs to
reside on the same logical drive.

Thanks again to Brian and Peter for their helpful suggestions.

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch