[R] installing R from RPMs

Nicolas Fauchereau Nicolas.Fauchereau at u-bourgogne.fr
Fri Feb 9 10:37:46 CET 2001

Hi everybody !

I'm new to R (used to Matlab ...) and I 'd like
to use R at home ...

I've installed it from RPM package (R-base-1.2.1-2.i386.rpm)
on a linux RedHat 7.0, succesfully ....however but I've got
problems with running the demos, it says :

"/usr/lib/R/bin/R.bin : error while loading shared libraries
 : /usr/lib/R/bin/R.bin : symbol __sysconf, version GLIBC_2.2
not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference.

and quit R.

Does anybody have an idea of what it means - what I can do
to fix it ?, is it annoying only for the demos or for runnning
other R functions as well ?

another question : I have to deal with large Matrices (usually
1000*600 or more) is R suited for that ?

thanks in advance

Nicolas Fauchereau

                    _\\|//_
                    ( O-O )
------------------ooO-(_)-Ooo-------------------
|                                              |
|            Nicolas FAUCHEREAU                |
|   CENTRE DE RECHERCHES DE CLIMATOLOGIE       |
| UMR 5080 CNRS - Université de Bourgogne      |
| Faculté des Sciences Gabriel                 |
| Batiment Sciences Gabriel BP138              |
| 21004 Dijon Cedex, France                    |
| Tél : (+33) 03 80 39 38 23                   |
| Fax : (+33) 03 80 39 57 41                   |
| e-mail : <nicolasf at u-bourgogne.fr>           |
| url : http://www.bourgogne.fr/climatologie   |