[R] Paid support for R?

Ross Darnell ross at turing.une.edu.au
Wed Dec 12 04:50:07 CET 2001

Richard Rowe <Richard.Rowe at jcu.edu.au> writes:

> At 08:16 12/12/01 +1000, "Andrew C. Ward" <s195404 at student.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> >Dear R users,
> >
> >Sorry if this has been discussed before.
> >
> > I was recently looking at the MySQL site and saw that they offer
> > various levels
>
> >of paid support. The support options range from basic email support (USD200)
> >through to extensive telephone support from the development team (USD10000).
> >These are annual prices.
> >
> >This is something I would be happy to see available with R (maybe it is?).
>
> I think this proposal is at odds with what I understood to be the
> fundamental theme behind the development of R - a community of
> scientists sharing knowledge without attempts to shut up 'intellectual
> property' behind walls, lawyers etc.  If people feel grateful perhaps
> they could give time, build something, and contribute it to the
> community.  I expect the 'consultancy rates' for many of those who
> freely give advice on R-help would make anyone on an academic budget
> wince ... and that is the rate they should charge if they are
> providing service for a fee.
>

> The structure of 'open source' and the use of the academic and
> scientific community is a good one, set up with considerable hindsight
> over ways in which short-term greed, proprietary methods and
> intellectual property law had done a disservice to the community which
> generated the ideas and methods.  If ever income is derived from R
> then I expect the system will collapse as people will soon come to
> spend that income, then they will spend it in anticipation, at which
> point they will need to generate the income ... and collegiality will
> disappear,

Is this an attempt by the original poster to find a job?

But I don't quite agree that people shouldn't get paid for giving advice.

I have taught and given advice about R to students and colleagues and
get paid for it as a lecturer and statistical consultant. And I may
have actually asked this list for advice on a question asked to me.
Is this any different?

I am sure there are a people who are TeX consultants.

Regards
Ross Darnell

Send "info", "help", or "[un]subscribe"
(in the "body", not the subject !)  To: r-help-request at stat.math.ethz.ch