[R] Re: Chinese text in R

Ko-Kang Wang Ko-Kang at xtra.co.nz
Tue Oct 10 03:52:50 CEST 2000

Ray Brownrigg wrote:

> I have a question from a Chinese colleague in Beijing, and wondered if
> you were able to help answer it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know my contact e-mail?

> I know about the Hershey fonts, and
> that Kanji will give a few hundred hanzi in R, but is there anything
> else that we can do to get a larger number of characters?  [SSLib is
> some Statistical Seismology packages built on top of R.]

I'm sorry but I do not know what Kanji, hanzi are...I might if I am shown the
Chinese translation of these two words though.  I'm using a Chinese Windows 98
and everything is in Chinese.  As a result I have trouble understanding the
terminology when they are written in English.

> > And how and what is the way for we could write the both of English and
> > Chinese of the main and sub title at the figures from SSLib or R, or within
> > the plot.

In R, I don't know if this is what you want:
[Image]

I got it by directly Chinese input, i.e.:
> x <- 1:10
> plot(x)
> plot( x, main = "´ú¸Õ TEST" )

Can you be more specific what you are wanting (although I can't guarantee I can
be of much help...)?

Cheers,

Ko-Kang Wang

--