[R] Step function

Matt Pocernich mjpocern at ouray.cudenver.edu
Wed Nov 29 19:07:31 CET 2000

I am having problem using the step function for a linear regression model.  I've created an initial model containing only the intercept.  Then using the step function, I've selected three variables to be considered for the model.

> x0.lm<- lm(MEDV~1, data = x)
>
> anova(x0.lm)
Analysis of Variance Table

Response: MEDV
           Df Sum Sq Mean Sq F value Pr(>F)
Residuals 505  42716      85

> step(x0.lm, ~ CRIM + ZN + RM)
Start:  AIC= 2246.51
 MEDV ~ 1

Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : Object "MEDV" not found

I am not clear as to why the MEDV object ( the variable I am trying to predict) is not found.  I receive an identical message using the command > step(x0.lm).

I am using R version 1.1.1.  I can run all the examples successfully.  Also, I realize that there are differences in the algorithms, but I can run the code above  on Splus version 5.

Thanks

Matt Pocernich