[R] large object disorientation

Roger Koenker roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 21 15:11:52 CET 2000

This is an inquiry for all those who have been working on external
data base applications.  I sent an inquiry (below) to snews about
this sort of thing a couple of years ago and eventually decided that
I would wait to see what external database developments occurred and
then revisit the problem.  I hope that foundations are now better.

Suppose for the sake of concreteness you have a large dataframe-like
object stored in some compressed format (e.g.  I have a 48Mb stata
dataset that is about 2.5 million observations on about 40 variables.)
and you would like to do lm() fitting.  That is you would like to
specify that the data frame is somehow external, and using the formula
specification in lm() generate a sequence of queries that would return
chunks of rows of the dataframe, accumulate X'X and X'y, do Major
Cholesky's solve, and return.  All with a modest memory requirement
and in the blink of the cpu's eye.  I realize that it sounds a bit
retrograde to be doing least squares computations like this, but if
there were a good way to do this, then there would be good ways to
do lots of other more interesting things too, I believe.

I expect that there are still grand plans for data type external sorts
of schemes that would, as John's message cited below suggests, allow
a transparent, fully featured, access in the language to large objects.
But for the moment I would be happy with something much more limited that
I could use to brew at home.  So any advice about which of the several
database interfaces might be suitable, and references to related applications
would be very welcome.

url:	http://www.econ.uiuc.edu		Roger Koenker
email	roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu		Department of Economics
vox: 	217-333-4558				University of Illinois
fax:   	217-244-6678				Champaign, IL 61820